Advion Fire Ant Bait
Advion Fire Ant Bait is one of the fastest baits on the market to kill fire ants. Advion works in 2-3 days; killing the entire fire ant colony. Advion Fire Ant Bait, although specializes in fire ant control also controls Bigheaded ants and Pavement ants.
Application Of Advion Fire Ant Bait
The best time to use Advion Fire Ant Bait is when in the mornings and evenings. At this time, the fire ants are usually foraging for food. This fire ant bait may be scattered as a broadcast treatment or used on individual mounds.
When to apply:
1. Apply Advion Fire Ant Bait after you see the fire ants, bigheaded or pavement ants.
2. When baiting for fire ants, it is most effective when the soil is at least 60 degrees and ants are busy foraging for food. "Picnic' weather is a perfect time.
3. According to the label, you may repeat applications up to 4 times a year, usually 12 to 16 week intervals.
4. If it rains within 4 hours, Advion Fire Ant Bait would not work as well, so wait for dry weather.
Advion Fire Ant Bait Key Product Features
- Quick acting and complete kill of colony
- Controls fire ants in 2 to 3 days
- Treats on all the ant's life stages
- Broadcast or mound treatment
- Pet and Children Safe when used as directed
- Additional Information
Pro Tips Advion Fire Ant Bait is probably the best fire ant bait on the market. As a rule you only want to bait ants when it is nice weather. I don't ever like putting the bait on the mound. Sprinkle Advion Fire Ant Bait outside the mound. Packaging 2 lb shaker top and 25 lb. bag Manufacturer Dupont Product Label Label MSDS MSDS Target Pest Active Ingredient (s) Indoxacarb .045% For Use : In and around buildings, lawns, recreational areas, golf courses, and other noncrop/nongrazed areas Yield N/A Mixture|Application Apply when ants are actively looking for food - typically in morning or evening. Broadcast treatment: 1.5 - 5 lbs. per acre, mounds: 4 level tablespoons around mound. Do not apply immediately before or after irrigation or rain Application No Retreatment Retreat after 12-16 weeks if needed. Up to 4 applications of ADVION Fire Ant Bait may be applied per year Shipping Restrictions AK More Instructions SPECIFIC USE DIRECTIONS
1. Broadcast Treatments: Make application with broadcast equipment capable of applying 1.5 pounds of ADVION fire ant bait per acre. Calibrate and adjust equipment prior to application to ensure that the proper rate of product will be applied. Retreat after 12-16 weeks if needed.
2. Individual Mound Treatments: Do not disturb the mound. Do not apply to tops of mound. Apply 4 level tablespoons (0.5 oz) of ADVION fire ant bait per mound, uniformly distributing the product 3-4 feet around the mound. Retreat after 12-16 weeks if needed. Individual mound treatments:
1. Do not use kitchen utensils for measuring. Keep measuring utensils with pest control pesticides away from children.
2. Do not allow livestock or domestic animals to consume the bait.
3. Do not apply this product through any type of irrigation system.
4. Do not exceed 6 total pounds of ADVION® fire ant bait applied per acre per year.
Numerous field trials conducted with formulations of this material have provided very good, consistent results. It is a conventionally-formulated bait that uses de-fatted corn grit as a carrier with the active ingredient dissolved in soybean oil, which also serves as the attractant.
At a broadcast application rate of 1.5 lb/acre, suppression of foraging ants begins overnight.
Three days following treatment, elimination of 95% or more of the ant colonies have been routinely documented! No other bait comes close to this speed of control and it rivals that of contact insecticides.
As with the other fast-acting baits, there are few residual effects, so re-invasion can begin almost immediately. The label includes individual mound treatment directions. However, with the speed of activity being the same for mound treatment as for a broadcast application, the only situation in which mound treatment could be justified is where only a handful of mounds are present in an area, where it would cost more to broadcast, or when precise bait placement is needed such as near water or other sensitive sites.
Note that Advion use only and limited to non-ag sites.
Even though the active ingredient is called indoxacarb, it is not a carbamate. It is a low-toxicity GABA inhibitor that must be consumed and metabolized to work. Speed of control has been the major roadblock to the acceptance of fire ant baits in both the consumer and professional markets. With control in 3 days, Advion should be a real breakthrough product.
*Prepared by: Bastiaan "Bart" M. Drees, Professor and Extension Entomologist
Customer Reviews 4 item(s)
- great product
This fire ant bait is the best on the market. I used a lot of other brands but that didn't get rid of them. I've been using this since 2005. This product can't be beat.
- Works on Fire Ants where others fail
Location: North Texas.
Problem: Two fire ant mounds still active after two applications of Amdro Fire Ant Bait (from the Home Center) This treatment had worked on a dozen or so colonies previously.
Solution: Applied this product (Advion) according to directions.
Result: Fire ant colonies no longer active after a few days.
More expensive than Amdro, but less expensive than calling pest control company, and it got results.
- Best Fire Ant Bait Ever
By chance, I found out that the City I live in uses this bait. So, I looked it up and was impressed with the write-up about the effectiveness of the bait. (I had already tried something else that did not work at all). I had a huge mound by the front sidewalk and another one by the mail box; i.e., both mounds in my way. I followed the instructions and was amazed at how fast Advion worked!! And, totally pleased, of course!!
- The Only Fire Ant Bait to Use
A little to know about fire ants. They protect their queen 7 ft under ground, which is why topical solutions will not work. The ground must be dry (turn sprinklers off 24 hours before and 24 hrs after) and ideal temps are between 60-90 degrees. Do not sprinkle directly on the mound as the ants will consider this an invasion and will merely remove the bait. Instead, broadcast the granules around the mound as the ants will forage up to 100 ft for their food. The nest should be dead within 24-48 hrs.