With the UVA Meter by Pest West , you can see the conditions of your fly lights at a glance and use it for pre-installation surveys
UVA Meter is used to measure the UV output of the lights in fly traps.
A moving bar of LED lights changes color according to the condition of the lamp.
The green light= OK , yellow=marginal, red=replace.
It is impossible to discern by the naked eye if the light has enough output in order to attract the flies. Condition of lamps cannot be checked just by looking at them, as the human eye cannot see uv light. This meter is designed for technicians, managers, installers, or anyone who needs to check to see that their fly lights are in peak performance.
It is also used in pre-installation surveys. It is used to determine the amount of ambient UV light located in places you would place fly traps with UV bulbs. You do not want to place fly lights in competing light sources. Ideally , you would want the ambient light to be low.
UVA Meter Features:
- Uses a series of LED lights to detect
- Monitors total trap output
- Monitors ambient UV
- Easy to use, with instant readout
- Permanently calibrated
- Convenient size-about the size of a mobile phone
- Long battery life 2 yrs with typical use
Lamp replacement frequency
Although it is convenient to replace lamps at the beginning of the insect season, they should be monitored to ensure that output is adequate between scheduled lamp replacement. Not all manufacturers’ lamps maintain adequate performance throughout the year. In fact, you should change some lamps as much as twice per year.
In order to maintain the satisfactory level of protection, lamps may need to be changed more than once a year, particularly where:
- Species’ populations peak late in the season
- Machines may be under-specified
- Machines are improperly placed
- Ambient UV reduces effectiveness
- The risk of contamination by flying insects persists into the fall (or beyond)
- Insect control is critical, e.g. food processing, pharmaceutical plants, hospitals, etc