B&G TM-1 Termite Monitor
This termite monitor by B&G is used to monitor the presence of termites. This monitoring tool is used to detect termites before damage occurs. A typical home uses 10 or more stations.
Simplicity & Science of B&G TM-1 Termite Monitors
The B&G TM- 1 termite monitor is one of those devices that you look at and immediately think how simple it is. Do not let the simple appearance fool you. There is a lot of science behind it; it is precisely what makes the TM-1 stations so effective. The termite food source is a compressed cellulose plate at the top of the trap; it is designed to attract and hold moisture. Termites tunneling through the soil will travel up the wooden stake in search of more food. The cellulose plate at the top then serves as both a food source and temporary harborage for the food gathering termites.
How and When to Install B&G TM-1 Termite Monitors
- Placing the monitors a few feet out from the house, at roughly 10 foot intervals will give a clear indication of the level of termite activity around your home or business.
- Termite Monitors can be installed any time of the year. Everyone knows termites are active in the spring and summer; cooler temperatures do not seem to affect their feeding behavior much at all.
- In areas where there is mulch or other ground cover the moisture levels in the soil remain high. This "micro-climate" allows termites to actively feed just below the surface in temperatures as low as 40° F.
- Shady locations that stay damp seem to be ideal locations for placing termite monitors. The flat top of this termite monitor gathers and holds heat to keep the temperature more suitable for termites even in cold weather.
- Locations such as mulched stone or gravel are not seemly areas for termites seeking food; do not let that fool you. Studies show that termites eat more food from termite monitors placed in areas mulched with stone rather than traditional wood, bark, or pine straw. It seems that the stone does a remarkable job of holding in moisture and keeping the soil underneath cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
B&G Model # 26000004