Silverfish and Firebrat Control
- Silverfish live in high moisture conditions. Dehumidifying reduces the moisture content and will help with silverfish control. Use a dehumidifier if necessary. Other methods of dehumidying include ventilation, running the air conditioner and eliminate all standing water.
- Fix any faulty plumbing that may have caused leaks that may have increased moisture conditions.
- Silverfish live in dark and moist environments. They feed on wallpaper pastes, natural textiles, books, and papers.
- Find source of feeding ( wall paper, books, storage boxes) and reduce moisture
- They may be coming in from the outside. Spray the perimeter of your house with a high quality residual spray like LambdaStar UltraCap 9.7, Cyper WSP or D-Fense SC every 2-3 months.
- For severe infestations, use a dust in your attic or such hiding places such as attic insulation, behind refrigerators, light fixtures, electrical outlets. The recommended dust would be D-Fense Dust or Cimexa Dust. You can also use an insect bait like Intice 10 Perimeter Bait, scattered in the infested area. Keep children and pets away from the bait. Get Rid Of Silverfish Kit combines these products.
- A non-chemical approach would be use of Pro-Pest Silverfish Traps
$41.75 As low as: $39.21
Spectre 2 SC, with Chlorfenpyr 21.45%, may be compared to the popular non-repellent Phantom Insecticide, but more economical. As a non-repellent insecticide, Spectre 2 SC is not detectable to the insects (so the insects do not avoid it). It is a very low odor (almost odorless) and a long-lasting residual insecticide. It will kill many types of ants (see label), bed bugs, grain beetles, boxelder bugs, house crickets, roaches, spiders, scorpions and more. As these pest come in contact with it, they share it with other insects, spreading it to those that have not come in contact with it.Learn More
$31.50 As low as: $25.95
Shockwave 1 Aerosol combines two residual insecticides, two synergists (for a powerful synergy), and an IGR (insect growth regulator) for a total aerosol. Shockwave 1 combines flushing action (flushes them out of hiding areas and kills on contact) with a residual action (long-term action) and an IGR to cut growth cycles.Learn More
Starting at: $49.90
LambdaStar UltraCap 9.7 is a micro-encapsulated lambda-cyhalothrin formulation that is easy to measure and mix. It has a long residual protection with excellent results. Compared to Demand CS, also a lambda-cyhalothrin 9.7% formulation, LamdaStar UltraCap has a higher mortality rate after 12 weeks of testing.Learn More
Starting at: $8.93
Now Cyper WP comes in water-soluble packets for mixing convenience. Cyper WSP compares to the popular Demon WP envelopes, with the same active ingredient, 40.0% Cypermethrin.
Cyper WSP achieves a quick knockdown and long-lasting control of 30 nuisance pest.Learn More
$14.75 As low as: $10.20
D-Fense Dustis a new Deltamethrin Dust, (Compare to Delta Dust). D-Fense Dust is a ready to use insecticide dust which gives an effective knockdown and residual control of up to 8 months if undisturbed.D-Fense Dust targets many insects such as ants, bees, cockroaches, fleas, silverfish, ticks, termites, and numerous stored product pests.Defense Dust will not clump or absorb moisture as some dusts and is non-staining and odorless.Learn More
Active Ingredient: 0.05 Deltamethrin
Can not send to CT
$16.95 As low as: $14.75
EcoVia CA contact aerosol is made of botanical ingredients and is part EcoVia's green solution line of products. It is a 16 oz can with a crack and crevice tip to inject in the smallest spaces. It is an effective product to combat a variety of insects such as moths, mosquitoes, flies, beetles, ants, cockroaches, spiders, and other listed crawling and flying pests.Learn More
$26.90 As low as: $22.58Cy-Kick "CS" Aerosol differs from Cy-Kick Aerosol, giving a longer residual and superior coverage due its SmartCap Technology(micro-encapsulation). Cy-Kick Aerosol and Cy-Kick CS Aerosol have Cyfluthrin 0.1%. Cy-Kick CS Aerosol has a crack and crevice tip, which is handy in getting the tiniest cracks and crevices where insects hide. It may also be applied as a spot treatment. It is labeled to kill such insects as ants, bedbugs, roaches, pantry moths, carpenter ants, carpet beetles, scorpions, silverfish, pantry pests and more in residential and commercial buildings. It is labeled for food handling establishments and has a low odor. Learn More
Small and flat, silverfish have scales and are a silver/blue color. Their body is tapered and it has 6 legs and no wings. Without wings, they wriggle like fish.
Silverfish eat a broad variety of carbohydrates and proteins, such as dried beef, flour, moist wheat flour, starch, oats, paper, glue, dead insects, some synthetic fibers, sugar, beef extract, and linen. Silverfish can live a long time without food. They also can live in damp basements and eat the surface mold on cardboard boxes.
Since silverfish eat some human foods, they can leave their excrement and body scales in the food stuff. Most of their damage is to books, paper products, and some natural and synthetic fibers. They can leave yellow stains on linen.
Their marks that are left after they feed are irregular, and they leave irregular shaped holes. They can attack fabric.
Silverfish are commonly found in basements, attics, kitchens, bookcases, wallpaper paste, bathrooms and laundry rooms. They prefer moist and dark locations with humidity (75-97%) and moderate temperatures (60-80 degrees F). They tend to live close to food sources and prefer dark environments.
For more even more information : Silverfish Control