Silverfish and Firebrat Control
- Silverfish live in high moisture conditions. Dehumidifying reduces the moisture content and will help with silverfish control. Use a dehumidifier if necessary. Other methods of dehumidying include ventilation, running the air conditioner and eliminate all standing water.
- Fix any faulty plumbing that may have caused leaks that may have increased moisture conditions.
- Silverfish live in dark and moist environments. They feed on wallpaper pastes, natural textiles, books, and papers.
- Find source of feeding ( wall paper, books, storage boxes) and reduce moisture
- They may be coming in from the outside. Spray the perimeter of your house with a high quality residual spray like LambdaStar UltraCap 9.7, Cyper WSP or D-Fense SC every 2-3 months.
- For severe infestations, use a dust in your attic or such hiding places such as attic insulation, behind refrigerators, light fixtures, electrical outlets. The recommended dust would be D-Fense Dust or Cimexa Dust. You can also use an insect bait like Intice 10 Perimeter Bait, scattered in the infested area. Keep children and pets away from the bait. Get Rid Of Silverfish Kit combines these products.
- A non-chemical approach would be use of Pro-Pest Silverfish Traps
$12.95 As low as: $9.95The Biocare Spider and Silverfish Trap catches and spiders and silverfish. This spider trap catches the spiders by imitating itself as a hiding place. Learn More
$13.60 As low as: $9.95
Protect books, library and museum collections with Pro-Pest R.T.U. Silverfish Trap. This ready to use trap by JF Oakes is a smart design which makes trapping silverfish and other insects easy. This trap comes with a food attractant and is safe for pets and humans. It also catches other insects and their larvae, such as Firebrats, Museum beetle larvae, Brown carpet beetle larvae, Psocoptera, and Drugstore beetles.Learn More
$13.50 As low as: $9.505
The Low Profile Insect Monitor is a large trap with a low profile. The Low Profile Insect Monitor is a pesticide free trap and is non-toxic.It fits easily under kitchen appliances and in confined spaces. The low design and ramp leading to the sticky surface prevents cockroaches from escaping. Ready to use, just peel off cover and assemble trap .This food based attractant is good for all species of Roaches along with other insects. Unlike other glue monitors, B&G uses a new proprietary process that actually applies a layer of attractant before the glue is applied.Learn More
$0.55 As low as: $0.31
Trapper Max Free Mouse Glue Board Traps-5.5\" x 7.5\" mice glue boards. Each Trapper Max Free Mouse Glue Board Trap can be folded into a triangle or used as a flat trap.
TRAPPER MAX FREE is Bell's hypoallergenic, scent-free glue trap, ideal for use in schools, offices and other locations where allergens and odors may be a concern.
An excellent combination of performance and value, Bell uses exclusive prebaited glue formulations that are vigorously tested to ensure maximum holding power for the highest possible capture rates. Strict standards ensure the highest quality glues every time. Learn More
$0.66 As low as: $0.45Simply peel the protective wax paper off the glue trap and place wherever mice or insects are suspected. After they are caught, just toss the Trapper LTD in the trash. Works great as a bed bug or cockroach monitoring tool in homes, hospitals, food service facilities, etc. Learn More
$27.98 As low as: $23.50
Trapper MC Glue Boards catch both insects and mice. They are designed to be used in the Protecta Multi-Catch Trap and the Protecta Pest Monitor. These glue boards may be used in traps or alone. Glue boards in conjunction with traps are great for situations where poisons are prohibited or discouraged.Learn More
Small and flat, silverfish have scales and are a silver/blue color. Their body is tapered and it has 6 legs and no wings. Without wings, they wriggle like fish.
Silverfish eat a broad variety of carbohydrates and proteins, such as dried beef, flour, moist wheat flour, starch, oats, paper, glue, dead insects, some synthetic fibers, sugar, beef extract, and linen. Silverfish can live a long time without food. They also can live in damp basements and eat the surface mold on cardboard boxes.
Since silverfish eat some human foods, they can leave their excrement and body scales in the food stuff. Most of their damage is to books, paper products, and some natural and synthetic fibers. They can leave yellow stains on linen.
Their marks that are left after they feed are irregular, and they leave irregular shaped holes. They can attack fabric.
Silverfish are commonly found in basements, attics, kitchens, bookcases, wallpaper paste, bathrooms and laundry rooms. They prefer moist and dark locations with humidity (75-97%) and moderate temperatures (60-80 degrees F). They tend to live close to food sources and prefer dark environments.
For more even more information : Silverfish Control