How to Get Rid of Annual Bluegrass (Poa Annua)
Annual Bluegrass is a tricky winter annual weed that can be difficult to control and eliminate. This grass will go dormant and germinate during the fall/winter months and will flower in the spring. It often grows well in cooler conditions and shorter days and will sometimes die in the summer due to stress from the heat. What you apply and when you apply certain herbicides is very important to control your population.
- bright green leaf with boat-shaped tip
- leaf has a smooth texture
- low growing and tends to grow in bunches
- winter annual weed
- likes to grow in compact and moist areas
- seed heads are greenish to white/off-white color
- Not many selective herbicides are effective when it comes to controlling and eliminating your annual bluegrass.
- Most chemicals are limited to warm season grass such as zoysiagrass, bermudagrass, centipede, and St. Augustine.
- Read the label to figure out if the chemical is safe for your lawn.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
- A non-selective herbicide will kill any vegetation that it touches.
- Apply ONLY when your surrounding turf grass is dormant (all green is gone) and spot treat trouble areas.
- Apply when there is a low chance of rain to avoid runoff of chemical to other vegetation.
- Recommended Products: Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG, Eraser Max, and Alligare Glyphosate 5.4
- Application of pre-emergent herbicides is the most effective way to control annual bluegrass.
- The first application needs to happen in late fall/early winter before the seed germinates.
- Apply is when the soil temperature reaches around 70 degrees.
- A second application is recommended for seeds that germinate late.
- Pre-emergent herbicides only prevent germination. They do not get rid of an established population.
- Recommended Products: Prodiamine 65 WDG, Dithiopyr 40 WSB, and Hi-Yield Turf & Ornamental Weed & Grass Stopper
Certainty Turf Herbicide is a selective herbicide for control of annual and perennial grass and broadleaf weeds in highly managed turf, ornamental and native grass sites. Certainty Turf Herbicide with 75.0% Sulfosulfuron, controls tough weeds in residential and commercial turf. Look to kill with certainty in warm season turf, sedges (both yellow and purple), Kyllinga and other undesirable grasses and broadleaf weeds.Learn More
Specticle FLO with indaziflam, is a pre-emergent, selective and broad-spectrum herbicide that provides residual control of troublesome weeds such as crabgrass, annual sedge, poa annua and goosegrass. It also controls annual sedges and broadleaf weeds in turf, ornamentals (residential), hedgerows, hardscapes, Christmas trees, and conifers.Learn More
$24.25 As low as: $16.95
Bonide's Sedge Ender Concentrate kills yellow nutsedge, crabgrass, foxtail weeds, and other listed grassy weeds. Sedge Ender provides pre-emergent and post-emergent weed control, killing the toughest weeds, down to the root. Sedge Ender may be used on warm season and coool season grasses and is excellent in cool weathers. Sedge Ender is a selective pre emergence and post-emergence herbicide.Learn More