How to Get Rid of Annual Bluegrass (Poa Annua)
Annual Bluegrass is a tricky winter annual weed that can be difficult to control and eliminate. This grass will go dormant and germinate during the fall/winter months and will flower in the spring. It often grows well in cooler conditions and shorter days and will sometimes die in the summer due to stress from the heat. What you apply and when you apply certain herbicides is very important to control your population.
- bright green leaf with boat-shaped tip
- leaf has a smooth texture
- low growing and tends to grow in bunches
- winter annual weed
- likes to grow in compact and moist areas
- seed heads are greenish to white/off-white color
- Not many selective herbicides are effective when it comes to controlling and eliminating your annual bluegrass.
- Most chemicals are limited to warm season grass such as zoysiagrass, bermudagrass, centipede, and St. Augustine.
- Read the label to figure out if the chemical is safe for your lawn.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
- A non-selective herbicide will kill any vegetation that it touches.
- Apply ONLY when your surrounding turf grass is dormant (all green is gone) and spot treat trouble areas.
- Apply when there is a low chance of rain to avoid runoff of chemical to other vegetation.
- Recommended Products: Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG, Eraser Max, and Alligare Glyphosate 5.4
- Application of pre-emergent herbicides is the most effective way to control annual bluegrass.
- The first application needs to happen in late fall/early winter before the seed germinates.
- Apply is when the soil temperature reaches around 70 degrees.
- A second application is recommended for seeds that germinate late.
- Pre-emergent herbicides only prevent germination. They do not get rid of an established population.
- Recommended Products: Prodiamine 65 WDG, Dithiopyr 40 WSB, and Hi-Yield Turf & Ornamental Weed & Grass Stopper
$219.95 As low as: $215.20
Katana Turf Herbicide is a selective herbicide that controls a broad range of broadleaf weeds in zoysiagrass, buffalo grasses, bermudagrass, centipedegrass, seashore paspalum and other warm-season turfgrass. It is noted for its removal of overseeded cool-season grasses as well as control of perennial and annual grasses and sedges.
It excels in the removal of Poa annua, clumpy ryegrass, ryegrass, tall fescue, and annual ryegrass in warm season turf. Katana's label covers the control of 55 sedges, grassy, and broadleaf weeds. With such a broad spectrum of control, it is an excellent option for golf and commercial landscape maintenance in warm-season turf.Learn More
Starting at: $289.90
Monument 75WG herbicide is great for turf management, controlling major sedges and more than 40 listed weeds on turf. This broad spectrum herbicide keeps turf looking good soon after its application by inhibiting weed growth. Monument ensures a smoother transition to bermudagrass by removing over-seeded, cool-season grasses.Learn More
Starting at: $259.32
Revolver Selective Herbicide may seem expensive but is effective on cool-season grasses at low use rates. The active ingredient is foramsulfron, a sulfonylurea type of active removes cool-season grasses from tolerant warm-season grasses. This post-emergent herbicide may be used to remove cool-season grasses from bermudagrass greens, tee boxes, collars and approaches surronding bermudagrass greens.Learn More
Certainty Turf Herbicide is a selective herbicide for control of annual and perennial grass and broadleaf weeds in highly managed turf, ornamental and native grass sites. Certainty Turf Herbicide with 75.0% Sulfosulfuron, controls tough weeds in residential and commercial turf. Look to kill with certainty in warm season turf, sedges (both yellow and purple), Kyllinga and other undesirable grasses and broadleaf weeds.Learn More
$74.50 As low as: $69.95
Tenacity herbicide will allow lawns to look well from the beginning. Tenacity can be applied to existing weeds at seeding and provide residual control to continue keeping lawns and turfs looking good. It can be used to remove crabgrass, nimbleweed, bentgrass and other difficult to control weeds. It removes broadleaf weeds such as clover, dandelion, and chickweed. See label for a complete list.Learn More
$639.95 As low as: $632.95
Segment II Herbicide is a broad-spectrum, post-emergent control of annual and perennial grassy weed such as crabgrass, barnyardgrass, bahiagrass, bermudagrass and many more listed grasses. As a selective herbicide it may be applied in centipedegrass and established fine and tall fescues. Segment II is not formulated to contol control sedges or broadleaf weeds.Learn More
Tribute Total Herbicide
Tribute Total by Bayer is a post-emergent, broad-spectrum herbicide to control 55 different broadleaf weeds. These include many annual and perennial grassy weeds including dallisgrass, purple and yellow nutsedge, and kyllinga. Use Tribute Total as an aid for removing cool season grasses that have been overseeded from Bermudagrass.Learn More
Specticle FLO with indaziflam, is a pre-emergent, selective and broad-spectrum herbicide that provides residual control of troublesome weeds such as crabgrass, annual sedge, poa annua and goosegrass. It also controls annual sedges and broadleaf weeds in turf, ornamentals (residential), hedgerows, hardscapes, Christmas trees, and conifers.Learn More
$111.95 As low as: $99.50
Blindside is designed particulary for warm season turf for post-emergent tough weed problems like St. Augustine grass. Blindside acts quickly as a post emergence herbicide on over 70 weeds and sedges, including resilent weeds like Dollarweed, Ground Ivy, Doveweed and Buttonweed.
Blindside Herbicide is formulated as a WDG (Water Dispersible Granule) containing 0.66 lb of active ingredient per pound of product.Learn More