How to Get Rid of Bermudagrass
For some people, Bermudagrass is a healthy, vibrant, and desired grass for your lawn. For other people, it is an invasive, pesky, and unwanted addition to their lawn. We are going to focus on the latter. In the southern regions, Bermudagrass is a very common and popular grass and it thrives and stays green for the majority of the year. However, in the northern regions, it will go dormant and grey/brownout much sooner than other grasses such as fescue and ryegrass that handle the cold weather much better. This will give your lawn a patchy and uneven look. The first step to controlling and eliminating the unwanted Bermudagrass in your lawn is correctly identifying it.
- perennial grass (stays alive all year)
- dormant late fall through early spring
- warm season grass
- color can vary greatly and depends on factors such as sunlight, water, and nutrients
- will take on a darker green color with a plentiful supply of those factors
- if deprived of any of those elements it will take on a more greyish color
- high drought resistant
- pointed leaf tip
- blades are 4 to 6 inches
- grows low and flat when competition present
- dense growth
- The best time to apply any kind of selective herbicide is while the Bermudagrass is actively growing from early spring to late fall.
- There are a few amounts of selective herbicides that are effective and are dependent on when, where and what grass you apply it on.
- If you are treating in areas such as trees, shrubs, and perennial beds we recommend to use products such as Grass Getter, Ornamec 170, and Fusilade II.
- In northern grasses such as Bluegrass, Fescues, and Ryes we recommend a broadcast application of Acclaim Extra or Monterey'sTurflon Ester.
- Be sure to always read the label and determine which kind of turf you have before applying.
- Many of these herbicides will take multiple applications across multiple seasons to properly eliminate your problem.
- You can apply these chemicals with any hand pump or backpack sprayer. We have some available here.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
- When applying non-selective herbicides, you want to be sure not to mow beforehand. You want as much service area to absorb the chemical as possible.
- Remember that most non-selective herbicides are systematic and will destroy any vegetation it comes in contact with so be very careful when applying.
- Apply 3-4 weeks after first application and then you can plant your desired vegetation to help prevent farther growth.
- With every application, we recommend using a surfactant such Monterey's Herbicide Helper. This will help the chemical get absorbed into the plant.
- We recommend products such as: Gly-Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG, Roundup Quikpro, and Eraser Max.
- Unlike most grassy weeds, there is no magic chemical that can prevent the growth of it.
- The best way to prevent it from taking over your lawn is to keep your desired grass happy.
- If Bermudagrass is an invasive grass in your lawn then the best thing you can do is make the conditions undesirable for it.
- Making it undesirable could mean anything from the length you cut your grass. Bermudagrass prefers a lower cut grass so if you cut your grass around 2-4 inches, it takes away some of the much-needed sunlight.
Starting at: $26.99
Grass Getter with sethoxydim is a post-emergent, selective herbicide used to kill such hard-to-kill grasses like johnsongrass, bermudagrass, crabgrass, foxtail, and quackgrass (see label for all the grasses). It is a systemic grass killer that selectively eliminates grasses out of broadleaf plants without injuring desirable plants. Products such as 2-4-D does the exact opposite; it selectively removes broadleaf weeds from grasses.Learn More
$639.95 As low as: $632.95
Segment II Herbicide is a broad-spectrum, post-emergent control of annual and perennial grassy weed such as crabgrass, barnyardgrass, bahiagrass, bermudagrass and many more listed grasses. As a selective herbicide it may be applied in centipedegrass and established fine and tall fescues. Segment II is not formulated to contol control sedges or broadleaf weeds.Learn More
$78.90 As low as: $76.85Gordons Ornamec Over-The-Top Grass Herbicide is a selective post-emergent systemic herbicide that will provide an excellent control over unwanted grasses in and around groundcovers, shrubs, trees, landscape beds, container yards and grower nursery fields. It is a specially formulated liquid herbicide that uses Fluazifop-P-butyl as its active ingredient to help control unwanted annual grasses and perennial grasses such as panicum, crabgrass, goosegrass, foxtail, sandbur, barnyardgrass, bermudagrass, quackgrass, torpedograss and johnsongrass. It also offers selective removal of bermudagrass without injury to tall fescue and zoysia turf. It can treat a majority of ornamentals on the label with over-the-top application. It may be used around newly-emerging plants as well as transplants and it guarantees fast and efficient action. Comes with a mini bottle of surfactant. Learn More
$38.25 As low as: $36.50
Ornamec 170 Grass Herbicide is a selective systemic weed killer, controlling perennial and annual grassy types of weeds. Ornamec 170 with 1.7 % Fluazifop-P-buytl with its combined surfactant is perfect for a small area to treat such as landscape beds. This post-emergent herbicide is applied as an "over the top" application for unwanted grasses without harming ornamental plants. Ornamec 170 stops such grasses as goosegrass, crabgrass, quackgrass, johnsongrass and many more.Learn More
$77.45 As low as: $68.00
Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide
Fusilade II is a convenient and perfect choice to kill unwanted grass without injuring desirable broadleaf plants, conifers, newly emerging ornamentals and recent transplants. Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide is a post-emergent herbicide that works on selected unwanted annual and perennial grass weeds in landscape and turf areas. As a fast acting and systemic herbicide, it moves all the way to the roots, shoots, stolons, rhizomes and growing points of treated plants. Use Fusilade II in such areas as around trees, shrubs and groundcovers to get rid of unwanted grassy weeds.Learn More
Starting at: $24.70
Agrisel's Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG with 75% glyphosate, is a multi-purpose total vegetation weed killer. Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry is a high quality, fast acting and systemic granular that starts working within hours. It kills on contact, burns down, and kills the roots as well, providing quick total vegetation and weed control.Learn More
Starting at: $27.25
Eraser Max is a concentrated formula of glyphosate and imazapyr that is very effective against many weeds, vines, grasses and trees. A single application will kill weeds for up to a year. Eraser Max is for use outside on non-crop areas, bare ground for total vegetation control, and spot treatment for weeds, grasses, vines and trees. It is perfect for gravel paths, fence rows, around barns and farm buildings.Learn More