How to Get Rid of Crabgrass
Crabgrass is one of the most well-known and common weeds that people have. It grows in many different areas of the country and can be more difficult than most to control and eliminate. Here are ways to identify, treat, and prevent crabgrass from taking control of your lawn. Here is a herbicide application schedule:
- wide leaf blades
- blades go outwards from stem in a starlike fashion and fall to the ground
- likes to grow in bare spots that have high visibility to sunlight
- germination starts when soil temperature is around 50-60 degrees
- usually grows faster than the surrounding lawn
- seed heads finger out from the stem.
- 3-7 seed heads
- Use herbicides that are specifically designed to kill crabgrass and leave the rest of your lawn unharmed. These are called selective herbicides.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter out products that are not safe for it:
- Carefully read over the label before application.
Recommended Selective Herbicides:
- Spot treat with non-selective herbicides such as Round-Up. We recommend this method if you have a small and easily manageable growth of crabgrass in your lawn.
- When you are spot treating with a non-selective herbicide, be sure to spray when the wind is down and there is no rain because that will limit any drift and run of chemicals to other plants.
- We recommend this treatment method for smaller areas or lawns with a small amount of crabgrass.
Recommended Non-Selective Herbicides:
- Pre-emergent herbicides are the most common and effective method for eliminating crabgrass before they sprout.
- The key to using these herbicides is timing.
- The best time to apply is when the crabgrass is germinating in the spring but can also be applied in the fall
Recommended Pre-Emergent Herbicides:
$23.50 As low as: $16.95
Bonide's Sedge Ender Concentrate kills yellow nutsedge, crabgrass, foxtail weeds, and other listed grassy weeds. Sedge Ender provides pre-emergent and post-emergent weed control, killing the toughest weeds, down to the root. Sedge Ender may be used on warm season and coool season grasses and is excellent in cool weathers. Sedge Ender is a selective pre emergence and post-emergence herbicide.Learn More
Starting at: $17.70
Ferti-Lome Weed-Out with Crabgrass Killer (previously called," Fertilome Weed Out with Q") still has the same triple formulation of 2,4-D, Quinclorac, and Dicamba to get rid of tough weeds such as crabgrass. Ferti-Lome's Weed Out with Crabgrass Killer also controls broadleaf and grassy weeds such as Barnyardgrass, Black-Eyed Susan, Buttercup, Catnip, Chickweed, Dandelion, Dollarweed, Foxtail, Ground Ivy, Jimsonweed. Morning Glory, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Ragweed, Sunflower, Thistle, and other broadleaf weeds. It may be used on both cool season and warm season residential lawns (read the label for complete instructions and restrictions). This powerful crabgrass, broadleaf, and grassy weed killer travels through the whole weed, including the root after it penetrates the leaves.Learn More
$44.02 As low as: $43.50
Quinclorac 75 DF Herbicide - Dependable
Quinclorac 75 DF Herbicide is a dependable selective herbicide, working on the toughest post-emergent weeds like crabgrass. Quinclorac 75 DF Herbicide is a 75% dry flowable quinclorac herbicide. Comparable to Drive Herbicide, by BASF. Quinclorac 75 DF controls grassy weeds and broadleaf weeds without harming turf. It has a long lasting control from one month to 90 days.Learn More
$69.50 As low as: $64.50
Drive XLR8 Herbicide surpasses plain quinclorac as a crabgrass killer, even in the mature stages of the crabgrass. It has shown to have improved control over many troublesome weeds such as crabgrass, topedograss, kikuyugrass, and several broadleaves including clover.Learn More
$57.95 As low as: $54.50
Quinclorac 1.5 L with Quinclorac 17.79% is comparable to Drive XLR8 herbicide with 18.92% and is an excellent crabgrass killer. It is a post-emergent, selective herbicide that is superior in crabgrass control. It also treats a broad variety of other grasses and broadleaf weeds. It may be applied in residential or non-residential areas, parks, golf courses, athletic fields and many more locations.Learn More