How to Get Rid Dallisgrass
Dallisgrass is a grassy perennial weed that is commonly confused with crabgrass. Even though they may look similar, the treatment for them is much different. Dallisgrass can be very hard to control and get rid of and the first and most important part is correct identification.
- yellow green color with a white vein that runs down the middle of the leaf
- stiff leaves (compared to softer crabgrass leaves) and a hairy base
- tend to grow in circles from the center in loose bunches
- flower head has 3-6 spikes
- seeds are black compared to the whiter crabgrass seeds
- MSMA is one of the most effective chemicals for treating dallisgrass but it is restricted for commercial use only.
- There are several other selective herbicide chemicals that work but it depends on your grass and timing of application.
- For warm season grasses such as bermudagrass and zoysiagrass, you want to use products such as:
- Tall fescue is a cool season grass that can be treated with:
- Carefully read any label to make sure you can properly treat this grassy weed.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
- With many grassy weeds, spot treatment with non-selective herbicides is as simple yet very effective method.
- Only apply to trouble areas because these chemicals will kill any vegetation with which it contacts.
- Glyphosate is a very effective chemical and is found in several products.
- Apply when there is a low chance of rain to avoid runoff of chemical to other vegetation.
- Recommended Products: Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG, Eraser Max, and Roundup Quikpro
- Because it is a perennial grassy weed, it will be a little bit harder to treat with pre-emergent chemicals
- Apply aggressively in spring or early summer before the seeds germinate
- The seeds usually germinate when the soil temperature is in the 60-65 degree range
- Recommended Products: Dithiopyr 40 WSB, Dimension 2EW and Surflan Pro
$78.90 As low as: $76.85Gordons Ornamec Over-The-Top Grass Herbicide is a selective post-emergent systemic herbicide that will provide an excellent control over unwanted grasses in and around groundcovers, shrubs, trees, landscape beds, container yards and grower nursery fields. It is a specially formulated liquid herbicide that uses Fluazifop-P-butyl as its active ingredient to help control unwanted annual grasses and perennial grasses such as panicum, crabgrass, goosegrass, foxtail, sandbur, barnyardgrass, bermudagrass, quackgrass, torpedograss and johnsongrass. It also offers selective removal of bermudagrass without injury to tall fescue and zoysia turf. It can treat a majority of ornamentals on the label with over-the-top application. It may be used around newly-emerging plants as well as transplants and it guarantees fast and efficient action. Comes with a mini bottle of surfactant. Learn More
$77.45 As low as: $68.00
Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide
Fusilade II is a convenient and perfect choice to kill unwanted grass without injuring desirable broadleaf plants, conifers, newly emerging ornamentals and recent transplants. Fusilade II Turf and Ornamental Herbicide is a post-emergent herbicide that works on selected unwanted annual and perennial grass weeds in landscape and turf areas. As a fast acting and systemic herbicide, it moves all the way to the roots, shoots, stolons, rhizomes and growing points of treated plants. Use Fusilade II in such areas as around trees, shrubs and groundcovers to get rid of unwanted grassy weeds.Learn More
$38.25 As low as: $36.50
Ornamec 170 Grass Herbicide is a selective systemic weed killer, controlling perennial and annual grassy types of weeds. Ornamec 170 with 1.7 % Fluazifop-P-buytl with its combined surfactant is perfect for a small area to treat such as landscape beds. This post-emergent herbicide is applied as an "over the top" application for unwanted grasses without harming ornamental plants. Ornamec 170 stops such grasses as goosegrass, crabgrass, quackgrass, johnsongrass and many more.Learn More