How to Get Rid of Quackgrass
Quackgrass, also known as is a wide spreading, hard to get rid of, and cool season grass that has the ability to quickly take over lawns, gardens, and crops. They have a very strong and fast growing rhizome system (root) that can quickly crowd out desirable vegetation and crops.
- perennial cool season grass
- drought tolerant
- flowering begins in late June to early July
- blades are thin, narrow and rough to touch on top
- yellow rhizomes (roots)
- can get up to 2-3 feet tall
- seed head is a narrow spike with alternating sprouts (3"-8")
- Perennial gardens, trees, and shrubs are about the only area where selective herbicides can safely be applied.
- Products that contain Fluazifop-P-buytl, such as Ornamec 170 and Fusilade II, are your best option when eliminating this grass in those areas because they are made to only affect grass varieties.;
- If you apply in an annual garden, be very careful to only apply the chemical directly to the leaves that you are targeting.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
Non- Selective Herbicides
- This is the best method if you are trying to eliminate this grass in your lawn and also the other areas mentioned above.
- Many of the buds on quackgrass are dormant so multiple applications of the product are necessary because these herbicides travel through actively growing tissue.
- Remember that non-selective herbicides kill all vegetation so be very careful when you are applying the chemical on the quackgrass.
- Recommended Products: Gly Pho Sel Pro Dry 75Eraser Max and Roundup Quikpro
Certainty Turf Herbicide is a selective herbicide for control of annual and perennial grass and broadleaf weeds in highly managed turf, ornamental and native grass sites. Certainty Turf Herbicide with 75.0% Sulfosulfuron, controls tough weeds in residential and commercial turf. Look to kill with certainty in warm season turf, sedges (both yellow and purple), Kyllinga and other undesirable grasses and broadleaf weeds.Learn More
$219.95 As low as: $215.20
Katana Turf Herbicide is a selective herbicide that controls a broad range of broadleaf weeds in zoysiagrass, buffalo grasses, bermudagrass, centipedegrass, seashore paspalum and other warm-season turfgrass. It is noted for its removal of overseeded cool-season grasses as well as control of perennial and annual grasses and sedges.
It excels in the removal of Poa annua, clumpy ryegrass, ryegrass, tall fescue, and annual ryegrass in warm season turf. Katana's label covers the control of 55 sedges, grassy, and broadleaf weeds. With such a broad spectrum of control, it is an excellent option for golf and commercial landscape maintenance in warm-season turf.Learn More