How to Get Rid of Quackgrass
Quackgrass, also known as is a wide spreading, hard to get rid of, and cool season grass that has the ability to quickly take over lawns, gardens, and crops. They have a very strong and fast growing rhizome system (root) that can quickly crowd out desirable vegetation and crops.
- perennial cool season grass
- drought tolerant
- flowering begins in late June to early July
- blades are thin, narrow and rough to touch on top
- yellow rhizomes (roots)
- can get up to 2-3 feet tall
- seed head is a narrow spike with alternating sprouts (3"-8")
- Perennial gardens, trees, and shrubs are about the only area where selective herbicides can safely be applied.
- Products that contain Fluazifop-P-buytl, such as Ornamec 170 and Fusilade II, are your best option when eliminating this grass in those areas because they are made to only affect grass varieties.;
- If you apply in an annual garden, be very careful to only apply the chemical directly to the leaves that you are targeting.
- Make sure to properly identify your grass to make sure that the herbicide is safe for your lawn. Choose your grass below to filter for products that are safe for your lawn:
Non- Selective Herbicides
- This is the best method if you are trying to eliminate this grass in your lawn and also the other areas mentioned above.
- Many of the buds on quackgrass are dormant so multiple applications of the product are necessary because these herbicides travel through actively growing tissue.
- Remember that non-selective herbicides kill all vegetation so be very careful when you are applying the chemical on the quackgrass.
- Recommended Products: Gly Pho Sel Pro Dry 75Eraser Max and Roundup Quikpro
Starting at: $24.70
Agrisel's Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry 75 SG with 75% glyphosate, is a multi-purpose total vegetation weed killer. Gly Pho-Sel Pro Dry is a high quality, fast acting and systemic granular that starts working within hours. It kills on contact, burns down, and kills the roots as well, providing quick total vegetation and weed control.Learn More
$78.50 As low as: $73.50
Roundup Quikpro with the popular ingredient glyphosate is a post emergent herbicide that is non-selective, killing broadleafs, grass weeds, and trees.
Glyphosate provides a quick kill as a systemic and total vegetation kill (non-selective). Another popular quality of glyphosate in Roundup is that it doesn't reside in the soil for a long time as some herbicides. Roundup Quikpro has the additional ingredient called Diquat (2.9%) gives you added speed in killing the weed.Learn More
$13.99 As low as: $12.90
Roundup QuikPro Non-Selective Herbicide Box of Five 1.5-Ounce Packets. It is very effective against most green vegetation, including hard-to-control plants, such as brush, poison oak and thistle. It is also the herbicide of choice for use around homes and gardens.
The Roundup QuikPro Herbicides kills very quickly because of the dual active ingredients : Glyphosate and Diquat.Learn More
Starting at: $27.25
Eraser Max is a concentrated formula of glyphosate and imazapyr that is very effective against many weeds, vines, grasses and trees. A single application will kill weeds for up to a year. Eraser Max is for use outside on non-crop areas, bare ground for total vegetation control, and spot treatment for weeds, grasses, vines and trees. It is perfect for gravel paths, fence rows, around barns and farm buildings.Learn More