Close Rodent Entry Points To Exclude and Rodent Proof
During the inspection, look for rodent entry points and exclude as much as possible. Copper Mesh wire may be stuffed into the openings.
Rats can fit through a 1/2 ' opening (diameter of a thumb).
Mice can fit through a 1/4" opening (diameter of a little finger).
- Remove water and food sources.
- Keep garbage in tightly sealed containers and make sure any dumpsters are not overflowing. Dumpsters should be kept at least 25-50 yards from buildings.
- Keep pet and bird food in tight fitting containers.
- If possible, remove standing water.
- Keep kitchen clean from spilled food.
- Close or repair holes in the interior and exterior walls.
- Close openings over 1/4", particularly around windows and doors.
- Under garage doors : install vinyl, rubber or bristle sweep seals to eliminate gaps.
- Tighten seals around pipes, drains and vents.